Title of the Practice
Integrated growth of students through Extracurricular Activities
Objective of the practice
With a view to provide impetus to improve in all spheres of life along with academics across various discipline in the campus, the major objective include the following:
- To develop students intellectual, spiritual, social, physical and moral capabilities
- Develop a sense of social and civic responsibility
- To utilize knowledge in finding practical solution to the individual and community problems
- Better time management
- Skills to accommodate hobbies and class activities
- Sense of commitment & responsibility
- Intertwining social and academic life
- Enhancing leadership potential and organizing skills of students
- More opportunities and better expression
- Learn new skills & boost self- esteem
- Learn to relate better with the peers
- To develop competence required to share responsibility and work in group
- To practice national integration and social harmony
- To strive for the well being of the society
Extracurricular activities play pivotal role in achieving the quality and attributes of the graduates passing out from the institution. In an innovation driven global society where soft skills are the key to success and social well-being, extracurricular activities boost the self esteem and capabilities. Volunteers/Cadets of NSS and NCC are actively involved in extra-curricular activities serving for the community and nation building.
As described earlier Extracurricular Activities are important in the growth and development of students and the institution. As per the vision & mission statement, the institution is committed to provide quality education and make student responsible citizen and has undertaken many initiatives to strengthen & promote extracurricular activities & its integration with the academics.
The college extracurricular activities comprises of – NSS, NCC and other departmental activities.
Activities by NSS and NCC
The volunteers strive for the well being of the society. They also involve the dwellers/natives of the community and college to work in group and find practical solution to the problems.
NSS unit conduct various regular and special camp activities
- Health Awareness Programmes
- Blood Donation camp
- Celebration of National days and Anniversaries
- Tree Plantation
- Skill Development through various programmes during camp
- Cultural programmes involving the students and community
- Yoga and Meditation Programme
- Swachh Bharat Mission
- Various Awareness Programmes like de-addiction ,traffic rules ,voting rights
- Shram Daan
- Plastic free campaign
- Construction of roads
- River bank protection work
For the purpose of holistic and integrated development of students various activities such as formation of clubs, college FEST, sport and cultural Day celebration, traditional day celebration, debate and essay competition, Rangoli competition, soft skills & capability enhancement schemes, initiatives at different level have been taken.
Evidence of success:-
The impact of extracurricular activities is reflected in terms of student’s achievements.
- NSS volunteers selected for state/national level camps
- NCC students selected for republic day parade at India Gate ,New Delhi
- Students selected in university sports teams
- Students received awards in various cultural activities / debate / elocution competition conducted at university level
- Overall improvement of the student behavioral change in term of positive interaction of the student with faculty, friends, family & society
- Students actively participated in Field visits organized by various departments
- Many students successfully passed competitive exams like NET/SET/PET
- Students participated enthusiastically in workshop on Soft Skills and personality development
- Various Extension activities by the departments conducted successfully
- Students felicitated on their achievements
- Organized college FEST successfully & provided an opportunity to students to showcase their creativity & innovative talents
- Celebrate India’s diverse culture on traditional day
- Active NSS and NCC unit of girls and boys
Problems Encountered and Resources Required
- Bringing out the change in attitude of students.
- Insufficient funds
- Most of the students commute from villages, therefore could not utilize these opportunities due to lack of time and resources.
- Unavailability of expertise in the surrounding areas for continuous training of students.
Janata Mahavidyalaya credit Cooperative Society limited
- To serve the interest of teaching and non-teaching staff of the institution through the principle of self help and mutual help
- To enable the staff to attain increased income and savings, Investments and productivity and promote among them equal distribution of net surplus through maximum utilization of funds
Janata Mahavidyalaya Credit cooperative society Limited is an autonomous association of teaching and non teaching staff member united voluntarily to meet their economic, social and cultural needs and aspirations through a jointly owned and democratic controlled enterprise.
It was established in the year 1976 and registered under the cooperative society Act and Bombay society Act, to provide support, stability and accountability to its members. Society provides various loan facilities like housing, education, health and marriage loans.
The cooperative society, a voluntary association, is controlled and run by the staff members for the welfare of teaching and non teaching staff. The membership is open to all staff. It’s a democratic organization with president, vice president, secretary, treasurer and seven members elected or appointed in a manner agreed on by members. Executive Body of the society is elected after every five years in a democratic manner. Each member, no matter of his share is entitled to vote and avail loan facility. Recurring Deposit facility is also available to all employees of the institution. Interest on a member share capital is limited so that no person can have an overwhelming equity in the society. It mandates distribution of surplus amount equitably so that no member gains at the expense of another. An Annual meeting of executive body with all members is held in the beginning of the session for taking important and new decisions like distribution of surplus amount, providing membership to new employees, eligibility criteria for loan or maximum loan amount limit etc. Annual Report of the society is also shared with the members.
Society provides prompt financial support to its members in need by extending loan facility on minimum interest rate as per RBI. It motivates students for excellence and felicitates wards of the members for their academic achievements. Recurring facility is also provided to all the employees of the institution.
Evidence of success
Meetings are held every year in the beginning of the session.
On an average 85 staff members are benefitted every year by loan schemes.
Every year wards of staff are felicitated on the occasion of Independence Day.
Felicitation of staff on superannuation
Timely distribution of surplus amount
A help of Rs. 20000/- is extended during emergency like major disease or accidents.
Problems Encountered and Resources Required
Lack of attitude for combined decision
Lack of secrecy
Day by day number of loan seekers are increasing.